Bitter is the flavour of victory

Today has been a strange day, one of those days when you do not know if you should be exultant or miserable (and I am not talking about those special days of the month, but about key moments in life). However, as I normally tend to be positive, I would rather start telling you, Dear Diary, that I am writting these lines before going to sleep (I have not slept in the last day and a half and I am really exhausted).

Last night, after having buried the corpses we found in Hamona, we followed our journey to Relkingham. After some hours, already at dawn, we reached the city walls. At first sight, everything seemed pretty normal, except for the fact that some horses were walking free outside the city. When we reached the gate, we asked the guards if the High Priest had arrived to the city. Apparently, he had reached the harbour not so long ago. Perhaps we were still on time, but we had to act quickly.

We rushed to the Mayor and explained him the situation. When he knew the High Priest was not obeying the Queen's orders, he immediately helped us and some of his soldiers joined us in our fight. We all went to the Temple, hoping we could stop the Edict. However, a paladin of Erathis did not let us enter the sacred building. At that moment, we heard noise and cries and a riot started in the city. Apparently many of the citizes were missing their beloved seeds and wanted to have them. After solving the small problem of "ordre public" in town, we tried to break into the Temple. However, what we found there was not what we expected.

A paladin of Erathis, indeed one of the paladins that served the High Priest, was fighting with a small party of undead against us. Soon we understood the situation: the High Priest had betrayed the sacred order of Erathis and was now a follower of evil Vecna. He had even turned the Altar to Erathis into a huge flame of obscurity. When I was about to shoot him, he used his evil powers to throw me to the flame and keep me out of the fight. Although I was trying to get free, the flame was far too powerful. However, after some efforts (and maily thanks to the help of my companions) I managed to get rid of my prison and fight back... but the battle was not evolving as I expected: my sister Streisan suddenly turned and started charging our paladin (yes, the handsome dragonborn). She made him fall and then she killed him. I could not believe my eyes: what was she doing? After that she looked confused and dizzy, while the rest of us surrounded the High Priest and made him pay for his sins.

After the fight was over, I realized that the evil High Priest (now he did not look so "High", ugh?) had cursed my sister and was controlling her movements. She felt horribly for the dramatic result of our adventure and she could not feel relief even in the fact that we had freed a whole country from the slavery of Vecna's cultists.

Myself I had a strange feeling in my stomach. Of course I was sorry for our paladin, but when we got out of the Temple, the sun was shining, the city was free and joy was in everybody's faces. When I saw the Mayor, I could not help it: I went towards him and kissed him. At the begining he was confused but then he understood the battle was over. Then, the army of Relkingham, with whom we had fought against the cultists of Vecna, decided to consider us as Members of Honour of the Rangers of Relkingham.

So, that has been my day. While I am finishing today's report, I hear people sing and dance in the street, and Streisan cry silently in her bed. Life can be complicated.